Does 802.11u require 802.1x?

Ben Greear greearb
Sat Aug 31 12:14:51 PDT 2013

On 08/31/2013 09:41 AM, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 08:58:10AM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
>> I left SSID set to "" on supplicant, and after scanning it then went and did
>> interworking/HS20 stuff and chose the proper AP based on
>> the realm/domain....
>
> What is the purpose of that network block in wpa_supplicant
> configuration file? That's not the way Interworking network selection is
> supposed to be used.. You are only expected to configure the cred block
> and then use interworking_select/interworking_connect control interface
> commands or auto_interworking=1 configuration parameter. Temporary
> network block will be generated automatically for matching networks.

Ok, thanks for the hints.  I'll re-work how I generate the config files to
take this into account.

With regard to the auto-created network block...how should I configure things like
     disable_ht=0
     disable_ht40=0
     disable_sgi=0
     ht_mcs=""
     disable_max_amsdu=-1
     ampdu_factor=-1
     ampdu_density=-1

Can I just put them outside of the network block and have them take affect for the
auto-created one?

>> # 802.11u / Interworking configuration.
>> interworking=1
>> hessid=00:00:00:00:00:01
>> auto_interworking=1
>> access_network_type=0
>
> Are you setting hessid and access_network_type here on purpose? I would
> never include those for a real world use case..

I honestly have no idea if/when/how they are to be used.  I'll try to learn
more about these options...but it will be easy enough to skip them when
generating the config files.

Thanks,
Ben

--