Does 802.11u require 802.1x?

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Aug 28 02:55:21 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 03:54:22PM -0700, Ben Greear wrote:
> I've been trying to set up hostapd and supplicant to speak some 802.11u
> for testing purposes.

IEEE 802.11u is a set of various different functionalities, so please be
more specific on what exactly you are trying to test.

> So far, I have not tried setting up .1x on the AP, but based on
> the nai_realm_find_eap it seems I have to be running .1x for this
> to work?

Interworking network selection as currently implemented is going to
require WPA2-Enterprise, so yes, IEEE 802.1X/EAPOL authentication is
needed for this to work. IEEE 802.11u may not mandate that, but I don't
expect other cases to be deployed in practice.