Help with wpa_cli not executing a "kill -usr1" action

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Apr 30 12:54:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 06:24:49PM +0100, David Linares wrote:
> And here is the content of my /tmp/wpa_cli-action.sh script that I
> pass to wpa_cli:

>         echo "CONNECTED"
>         PIDOF_UDHCPC=`pidof udhcpc`
>         if [[ "$PIDOF_UDHCPC" != "" ]]; then
>                 echo "Sending SIGUSR1 to process $PIDOF_UDHCPC"
>                 kill -usr1 $PIDOF_UDHCPC
>         fi

> From the wpa_cli, I am getting the echos (CONNECTED and Sending...)
> but it doesn't seem that my signal is sent to udhcpc as my IP address
> is not renewed when looking at ifconfig.
> By doing a  kill -usr1 `pidof udhcpc`  directly from the command line,
> straight away, a new IP is requested and updated a few seconds later.

> Then, does anybody know if there is a limitation from the wpa_cli
> command-line tool not being able to execute a kill command? I will try
> the last version (2.0) tomorrow.

wpa_cli does not prevent that. Are you running this process under a
user account that has privileges to execute that kill command on udhcpc?
Have you verified that running that wpa_cli-action.sh script of your
manually from the command line works?