First STA scan results are ignored if P2P_FIND is issued immediately after STA scan

Sreenath sreenats
Mon Apr 1 02:59:10 PDT 2013

Hello Jouni,

Thanks for the update and sorry for the delay in responding, as I was on
vacation last week.

Our use case is like two parallel applications are running, one doing
normal STA scan operation and the other one doing P2P_FIND. As these two
are parallel processes, one can't wait till the logical completion of other.

So with the current implementation of wpa_supplicant, STA scan
application is taking too much time to update and display initial scan
results. However as subsequent STA scan requests will come during
P2P_FIND, 'wpa_s->sta_scan_pending' will be set and because of that STA
scan result will get preference over P2P. Moreover if
association/authentication happen after these subsequent scans, pending
P2P operation will be stalled further. So the omitting of first STA scan
results will help only in the immediate starting of P2P_FIND, however
subsequent P2P_FIND will be processed only after the processing of STA
scan results. As doing a scan is the time consuming part and we already
got the scan results, instead of dropping it I feel it is better to
process it than starting the pending operation. Moreover we are going to
provide preference for subsequent STA scan operations over P2P. So
please give it a one more thought and update me.

Regards,
Sreenath