error while loading hostapd on AP91 theros chipset

david preetham preetham.david
Wed Sep 5 00:13:57 PDT 2012

Dear All,

I am trying to run hosatapd on access point AP91 (atheros) by enabling the
atheros driver interface working for interworking.

While I run hostapd with specific conf I am getting error.

Error: ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]

Could not set interface to master mode!

*Access point AP 91:*

Kernel:  2.6.15

Driver Interface: atheros (while building hostapd listed interface)

Drivers loaded: ath_hal,ath_dev,ath_rate,umac.

*Image Build on linux for AP91:*

Kernel: 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE

Queries:

1)      Does ?atheros? interface uses any other interface like
ieee80211_wireless or directly sends ioctls to atheros driver?

2)      Apart from ?atheros? what all other interfaces like (bsd,
hostap,madwifi etc)I can use to communicate with atheros driver ?

3)      Does this is correct kernel to set it as master mode or to run
hostapd?

4)      How to run hostapd ??

*.config file of hostapd:*

CONFIG_DRIVER_ATHEROS=y

#CFLAGS += -I$(MADWIFIPATH)

CFLAGS += -I$(ATHEROSPATH)

CFLAGS += -I/home/Madan_AP91/Madan_AP91/drivers/wlan/os/linux/include

CONFIG_TLS=internal

CONFIG_INTERNAL_LIBTOMMATH=y

LIBNL=/home/Madan_AP121/libnl-1.1

CFLAGS += -I$(LIBNL)/include