how to save the output of hostapd

David Martin david.martin.mailbox
Tue Mar 27 11:56:58 PDT 2012

Hey Masashi,

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:29 AM, Masashi Honma <masashi.honma at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/25 David Martin <david.martin.mailbox at googlemail.com>:
>> Hey,

>>> The -B argument requests hostapd to run in the background, i.e., that
>>> command exists immediately after initial setup. If you want to record
>>> output from the process, you'll need to start it without -B and, e.g.,
>>> direct stdout/stderr to a file.
>>
>> Interestingly enough hostapd does not seem to work with tee. For example
>> 'hostapd 2>&1 | tee hostapd.log'
>> does not produce any output, neither in the logfile nor on the
>> terminal. Anyone got an idea what the problem is?
>
> I think you terminated hostapd with Ctrl-C.
> If you terminate hostapd with "kill" command via another terminal, you
> can get full logs.

I forgot about that, you are right about the termination. Still on
this machine when using tee the output appears with a delay on stdout
and even then not all of it.
It's difficult to explain without showing it on screen and I'm not
sure whether this is a problem of my device or of hostapd. In my
experience when piping output through tee there should be no noticable
difference to running the respective daemon directly in the
foreground.

It's not a big issue but it just makes me wonder.

David