how to save the output of hostapd

David Martin david.martin.mailbox
Sun Mar 25 06:13:25 PDT 2012

Hey,

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 7:33 PM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:44:36PM +0800, why wrote:
>> I want to save the output of hostapd, I use "hostapd -B | tee 1.txt", but it does not work. Can someone help me? Thank you.
>
> The -B argument requests hostapd to run in the background, i.e., that
> command exists immediately after initial setup. If you want to record
> output from the process, you'll need to start it without -B and, e.g.,
> direct stdout/stderr to a file.

Interestingly enough hostapd does not seem to work with tee. For example
'hostapd 2>&1 | tee hostapd.log'
does not produce any output, neither in the logfile nor on the
terminal. Anyone got an idea what the problem is?

Workaround:
'hostapd 2>&1 > hostapd.log' in one terminal and 'tail -f hostapd.log'
in the other to both write to file and get sort of live output on the
screen.

David