Unencrypted Beacons on Initialisation

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Mar 22 09:44:18 PDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 02:52:20PM +0000, Jonny Milliken wrote:
> Cheers for the suggestion. The reason we are using 0.6.6 is because it is
> the most recent version compiled for OpenWRT. There is a more recent
> version number (0.6.9) but it was not the most recently updated. Also it
> exhibits the same problem.

Is there some specific reason of using quite old version of OpenWRT? The
builds I use do seem to use  quite recent snapshot of hostapd from the
development branch, i.e., much newer than 0.6.6..

> We couldnt get the very latest hostapd (v0.7.3) to compile for mips.

What kind of issues did you have? Anyway, I would use the hostap.git
development branch version rather than 0.7.3 which is already quite
old..

> The
> patch mentioned does appear to address the problem we are seeing but the
> diff'd files are not the same. We have manually cludged the seemingly
> appropriate functions in beacon.c, hostapd.h and wps_hostapd.c in 0.6.6 but
> the changes didnt seem to stop the leaked beacons.
>
> Any other suggestions or have we just hit an impasse?

I would move to the latest OpenWRT release.. It is difficult to justify
spending more time on backporting non-critical fixes to hostapd 0.6.x.