bgscan? Can I scan while not connected to a network?

Ed W lists
Tue Mar 13 10:37:26 PDT 2012

Aha - one thing which seems perhaps non obvious is that at least with
ap_scan=1, there is no background scan if you have no networks at all
configured... I'm working on an automated setup script so it seemed
obvious to start with an empty config, but that was actually holding
things back...

So that answers the question about background scanning when no networks
match.  However, same question as before about sensible config for the
simple and learn bgscan params?  Using latest git wpa_supplicant

Thanks

Ed W