[RFC-PATCH 1/2] wpa_supplicant: add new config params to be used with the ibss join command

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Jun 6 04:56:32 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 06, 2012 at 08:39:40AM +0200, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> I think that most of the params I added are supported by other drivers as well
> (not 100% sure).
> We just need to add the support for them in each driver-related code.

Well, I would first like to get some justification for this
functionality in the first place. This seems to be something that is not
compliant with the way IBSS was designed work. As such, there better be
some notes on the commit log and wpa_supplicant.conf describing what is
the use case for this and warnings on this breaking IBSS compatibility
due to missing merges with other parts of the same IBSS with standard
compliant STAs.

> Actually I'm not "adding a new behaviour" to wpa_s, I'm simply allowing the use
> to configure all the parameters that the ibss join command support.

This is new functionality from wpa_supplicant view point and needs to be
documented in wpa_supplicant.conf.

Does the multicast rate really need to be set in wpa_supplicant? If
someone needs that special configuration, I would assume that iw can be
used after the IBSS has been enabled.

By the way, you cannot include drivers/nl80211_copy.h into
wpa_supplicant/config_ssid.h since config_ssid.h needs to remain
independent of the driver interface.

I would suggest reordering the patches in a way that you add the
parameters one by one and include all the related changes
(driver_nl80211.c, core changes, wpa_supplicant.conf documentation) in
each patch. While I don't really in general like the non-compliant IBSS
operations, this would make it somewhat more likely that you can
convince me to take the fixed_freq and beacon_int (please rename that to
beacon_int to match with hostapd and also use it for AP mode
configuration instead of just IBSS).