802.11u Roaming Consortium ID

Dr. Ajay N. Khosla drkhosla
Mon Jul 23 22:09:03 PDT 2012

I am trying to test interworking (802.11u) using hostapd and wpa_supplicant development version.

I am using openwrt and compile hostapd with CONFIG_INTERWORKING compile option and flash access point.

The purpose of using interworking to help client to select right hotspot network. To make simple test I set asra bit so that user can authenticate using Web Authentication/WISPr. I set following parameter in hostapd.conf for interworking.

interworking=1
access_network_type=2
internet=1
asra=1
esr=0
uesa=0
venue_group=2
venue_type=0
roaming_consortium=2233445566
venue_name=eng:Vile-Parle

Using Wireshark sniffer I can see all these parameters are part of beacon and working fine.

I set interworking=1 in wpa_supplicant.conf. For Web Authentication/WISPr I don't think any other parameter of interworking is useful in this. I also set

network={
ssid="HomeNet"
key_mgmt=NONE
}

Now problem is that interworking=1 alone does not help wpa_supplicant to select right network. As I presume there are many Roaming Consortium ID in network. Then which parameter help supplicant to select "HomeNet" or any other SSID which have roaming_consortium as 2233445566.

There is any parameter in wpa_supplicant.conf which I can set to 2233445566 and it will connect to same SSP irrespective to SSID.

with regards