[Projekt-wlan] VLAN support recently broken

michael-dev michael-dev
Sat Jul 7 01:31:06 PDT 2012

Hi,

Am 28.05.2012 06:50, schrieb Jouni Malinen:
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 04:34:55PM +0200, michael-dev wrote:
> Please also check whether this kernel patch is enough to fix the
> issue
> without requiring any changes in hostapd:
>
> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/89946

yes, it is sufficient.

> The first email in this thread seemed to point out a separate issue
> with
> DELLINK/NEWLINK messages. If that is still an open issue, please
> submit
> a separate patch to fix it.

the issue about this is that with dynamic vlan support + placeholder
usage,
iff the interface to be created already exists, it gets deleted and
recreated.
Due to the netlink messages coming in some time later, the dellink
messages
removes the new interface from the hapd->conf->vlan list and the
newlink
message cannot add it, as the placeholder does not match.
This happens for example when hostapd shutdown is unclean (e.g. when
debugging
an infinite loop).

I'm currently not sure about how to fix this in a clean manner. Though
this
likely does not affect normal operation and can be avoided by deleting
all
old interfaces before starting hostapd again

Regards,
  M. Bran