Getting wrong value for MIC - how to debug?

Chris Phoenix cphoenix
Tue Jan 31 13:15:47 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> As far as your test code is concerned, it seems to be defining PMK to be
> "password" which is not correct. That would be the passphrase and you
> would need to run it through pbkdf2_sha1() to generate the PMK.

Good catch, thanks. That was exactly the problem. Too many acronyms.
:-) I hadn't realized that PSK was different from PMK.

> What kind of CPU do you have on the embedded device? Did you modify
> anything in the crypto implementation? Are you using the internal crypto
> implementation or an external TLS/crypto library?

It's an ARM embedded package, and I'm using the internal crypto
library. But I'm now getting the MIC I expect (the correct MIC for my
phone's 2/4 packet), so I don't need to be suspicious of anything
else.

Thanks again!
Chris

--