wpa_supplicant: IBSS/RSN and node reboot

Antonio Quartulli ordex
Fri Jan 6 03:58:02 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:01:47AM +0200, Jouni Malinen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 04:49:10PM +0100, Antonio Quartulli wrote:
> > But, am I wrong or wpa_s get an IBSS_RSN_START event only on node joining? I'm
> > asking because, on the lower layer, the node is still in the IBSS when pops up
> > again and so no IBSS_RSN_START is going to be triggered.
>
> I didn't say this mechanism was already implemented... ;-)
>
> So yes, this is likely to require some work both in wpa_supplicant and
> maybe also in kernel to provide the needed events. Authentication events
> are already available with mac80211 for infrastructure station role, but
> I've not verified whether those can be used with IBSS currently.

After digging into the code I saw that nodes are considered
associated/authenticated just after having received any probe_req/resp or beacon
frame.

We could move this logic to the AUTH frames, making all the clients sending such a
frame each time they want to join an IBSS. In this way we could use the AUTH
frame receiving to trigger an event in userspace and so let wpa_supplicant
reinitiate the state machine....would it work?

Johannes told me that some
devices/drivers do not send AUTH and so we could have problems with these ones
(if I correctly got his message).

Regards

--
Antonio Quartulli