[RFC] wpa_supplicant: add fast reconnect support

Jouni Malinen j
Sun Jan 1 07:54:13 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 03:53:21PM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> http://git.chromium.org/gitweb/?p=chromiumos/third_party/autotest.git;a=blob;f=server/site_tests/network_WiFiRoaming/006BeaconLoss;h=35e1c01b952a71ba86c5c977ad5ddd22b676c448;hb=HEAD
>
> The issue is that when the AP is silently taken down (i.e. w/o sending
> deauth) the client trys to reauth but fails--but never notifies the
> connection manager over D-bus so it thinks it's still associated.  I
> believe when I split the state machine for fast reconnect I had to handle
> this case in sme.c for reauth failure.

Hmm.. I was unable to reproduce this. I tested this with ath9k and
couple of seconds after turning off the AP, wpa_supplicant received an
nl80211 event indicating deauthentication and that resulted in
PropertiesChanged notification in D-Bus with State changing to
disconnected.

This case should not really have triggered the fast reconnection attempt
since the AP did not send any Deauthentication frame. However, it looks
like the locally generated deauth event with reason 4 was interpreted as
a Deauthentication done by the AP. I'll see how to fix this, but
regardless, I don't see how this would have skipped the disconnection
notification to the connection manager.