problems setting up 3 ssids in hostapd

Tilman Schoop tilman.schoop
Thu Feb 23 10:51:41 PST 2012

Hi all,

I am trying to setup multiple bssids with hostapd and I have had success setting
up 2 SSIDs, but when I configure a third interface and ssid configuration, I can
only connect to the last one.

The hostapd.conf configuration which does not work has identical wpa
configurations, but also with different combinations of WPA/WEP/OPEN
configurations, I have no success with setting up 3 SSIDs:

interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
logger_syslog=-1
logger_stdout=-1
hw_mode=g
channel=8

ssid=TEST1
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=aaaaaaaaa
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

bss=wlan0_1
bssid=00:0e:8e:fc:50:f7
ssid=TEST2
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=bbbbbbbbb
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

bss=wlan0_2
bssid=00:0e:8e:fc:50:f8
ssid=TEST3
macaddr_acl=0
auth_algs=1
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=ccccccccc
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=CCMP TKIP

When I comment out all lines from bss=wlan0_2 everything is fine and I can
connect to the networks TEST1 and TEST2.
When I take the above config, hostapd initializes without error messages, the
three interfaces are set up in the system and I see the three ssids in the air,
but it is only possible to connect to the last one.

btw. I am trying this with version v0.7.3 of hostapd.

Does anyone know, if this is a configuration problem, a hostapd issue or a
(nl80211) driver problem or limitation?

Any hints appreciated

Best Regards

Tilman Schoop