wpa_supplicant doesn't survive switch_root when started in initramfs

Jouni Malinen j
Sat Dec 22 05:34:50 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 07:06:23PM -0600, Zack Buhman wrote:
> In a fairly heretical plan that involves having the root filesystem on
> an NFS server, I need to have wpa_supplicant start in initramfs... and
> survive the real root replacing the initramfs root.
>
> The latter seems to be quite the problem.

Why would that be a problem? Do you have any debug log information or
more details identifying the issue with the process started from
intramfs?

> In late boot, the wpa_supplicant started in early-boot is still hanging
> around.

> of course things get a little crazy when a second wpa_supplicant
> instance is started: http://sprunge.us/Qcdg

Why would you start a second instance? Trying to have multiple processes
trying to manage a single interface is not usually a good idea.. If you
want to start a new one, stop the previous process first.