P2P_SERVICE_ADD Bonjour spec

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Dec 18 05:02:58 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 10:54:05PM +0000, Ben Hardill wrote:
> I'm trying to work out the spec to add bonjour services and the
> README-P2P mentions Annex E.4 in the spec. But I don't have a spare $199
> to send to the WiFi Alliance at the moment.
>
> Does anybody know of anywhere else I can find some pointers?

Well, the actual Bonjour parts are publicly available (i.e., pretty much
normal DNS encoding). Since you mentioned Android, you may also want to
take a look at the Wi-Fi framework used there since
frameworks/base/wifi/java/android/net/wifi/p2p/WifiP2pDnsSdService*.java
has an example of how Bonjour services are encoded. I've also considered
adding bit more user friendly version of p2p_service_add bonjour command
into wpa_supplicant so that the text format could be used to add Bonjour
services simarly to the UPnP services. Though, that's not going to help
you yet since that is only on planning stages.