Connecting through Android with configuration: 8021x + WEP

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Aug 15 09:40:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 01:00:15PM +0000, Gonen, Hila wrote:
> Apparently, when trying to connect via the GUI, the configuration file created by Android has only key-mgmt=WPA-EAP IEEE8021X.

While simple end user UI is obviously nice thing to have, this is going
bit too far in my opinion because it allows not so secure use of dynamic
WEP even if the user would like to configure only WPA2-Enterprise with
CCMP to be accepted..

> In this case supplicant fails to match AP (and as result it doesn't initiate connection) if IE (WPA or RSN) is missing in beacon/probe response packets.

> When removing "WPA-EAP" from the field key_mgmt, connection is established.
>
> I would like to know if this bug should be taken care of, in your opinion, and how.

I guess it should, but this is somewhat inconvenient for some drivers..
I addressed the most common case in the following commit:
http://w1.fi/gitweb/gitweb.cgi?p=hostap.git;a=commitdiff;h=a3f7e5186be7160057916b3aa6c08c0d4569039f