wpa_supplicant 0.7.3 slow to associate, 0.6.10 is ok

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Aug 10 08:16:15 PDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 04:57:28PM +0200, Koen Beel wrote:
> In a product we are building, we are using wpa_supplicant to connect
> to a WPA2-PSK secured AP and are experiencing pretty low association
> times when using wpa_supplicant 0.7.3.
> After a very large number of test cylces (many 100's), we see that the
> association time is somewhere between 8 and 10 seconds.

Which driver are you using? Are you using ap_scan=2 or 1 (default)? Is
the card dual band (i.e., will it scan both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz channels)?

> We have also done some test using the 0.6.10 version and here we see
> that the association time is only between 1 and 2 seconds.
>
> This connection time is very important to us. We cannot just switch
> 0.6.10 because we are relying on the wpa_cli interaction for setting
> up other parts of the system and this wpa_cli interaction seems to
> behave differently on 0.6.10 (at least here; it breaks our system).

Please send debug logs with timestamps (-dt on command line) from both
0.6.10 and 0.7.3.

> We are using WEXT driver, and using the config file in attachment.

Moving to nl80211-based interface would speed up things considerably for
many drivers..