hostapd hangs within nl80211_send_eapol_data

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Aug 7 01:11:49 PDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 07:49:40PM +0200, Alexander Couzens wrote:
> I get every 2-4 weeks a hanging hostapd. Just short things about my setup.

> I traced it down with gdb to
> driver_nl80211.c:6291 within
> static int nl80211_send_eapol_data(struct i802_bss *bss,..
> ret = sendto(bss->drv->eapol_tx_sock, data, data_len, 0,
> 	     (struct sockaddr *) &ll, sizeof(ll));
>
> I'm not sure, but it can be also a ath9k problem. But anyway maybe we can change
> eapol_tx_sock to non-blocking.

Are you saying that it hangs (stop indefinitely?) in that sendto() call?
If so, I would look at kernel code (mac80211 or ath9k). Making the
socket non-blocking does not sound like a good workaround for such an
issue, i.e., the kernel code should be able to drop the frame if there
is an error or lack of resources.