No user traffic through wlan0

Erich Titl erich.titl
Thu Sep 15 10:57:23 PDT 2011

Hi Matt

at 15.09.2011 15:46, Matt Causey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Erich Titl <erich.titl at think.ch> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> New to this list, so please let me know if this is the right place.
>>
>> I have an embedded distro http://leaf.sourceforge.net with a Wistron 9CM
>> Atheros based card and ath5k driver installed. I want to use this set up
>> to connect to a WRK54GH for testing purposes. The final goal is to
>> develop a web based tool to configure the Wifi client instance to
>> connect to basically any available AP to have an uplink to the net.
>>
>> After lots of sweat and tears I finally understood the necessity to have
>> wpa_supplicant to get an association with WPA2-PSK.
>>
>> My wpa_supplicant.conf file is very simple
>>

>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>> update_config=1
>>
>> network={
>>        ssid="scoobly"
>>        psk="XXXXXXXX"
>> }
>>>>>>>>

>> Now here is the catch....
>>
>> - I can associate fine with the AP
>> - DHCP assigns an address to wlan0 and installs a default route
>
> I'm happy to be wrong about this, but if you are getting an IP address
> from your DHCP server then you have certainly established layer 2
> connectivity, which means that the suppliant is working.  Take a look
> at the wpa_supplicant debug logs to verify.

I agree, there must be some layer 2 connectivity, else ther would be no
address.

> What happens when you ping the gateway, forcing ping to use wlan0
> (sudo ping -I wlan0 <gw_ip>).

Actually, see below.... , only arp requests for the gateway's address
can be seen on wlan0, no arp replies.

I cannot think of a reason why these arp requests are not honored unless
they are crippled. If I set the IP address in the arp table manually, I
can see outgoing ICMP request packets.

>> If I try to ping the WRT54GH I see arp requests going out which are
>> never replied to, therefore the packets will never be sent.
>>
>> If I try the same with a laptop under Windoze 7 everything works as
>> expected.

Erich