Is WPS supported on Linux systems using the wext driver?

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Oct 12 13:50:03 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 05:51:11PM -0400, Charles Gordon wrote:
> I'm trying to find out if wpa_supplicant can support WPS on an
> embedded Linux system.  I built it with "CONFIG_WPS=y" in the .config
> file and tried running it with this configuration file:
>
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> update_config=1
>
> ## -- Example MANAGED network
> network={
> 	proto=WPS
> 	eap=WPS
> }

How did you come up with this configuration?

Have you read wpa_supplicant/README-WPS? It describe how WPS is used and
yes, it can be used with WEXT, too (though, I would recommend using
nl80211 driver interface for fully compliant implementation).

> The documentation isn't clear (to me) about whether WPS is supported
> by wpa_supplicant, and looking at the code it appears that it is only
> supported by the NDIS driver.

Which documentation are you referring to hear?