P2P_GO start and broadcast deauthentication frame

Jouni Malinen j
Wed Nov 9 06:03:21 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 08, 2011 at 12:18:07PM +0100, Janusz Dziedzic wrote:
> I see wpa_supplicant send broadcast deauthentication frame before
> starting AP/P2P_GO.
> So after GO_NEGOTIATION we send this deauth broadcast frame.
>
> Is that a correct behaviour?

How would you define "correct behavior"? ;-) Anyway, this is expected
behavior.

> Why we send this frame before AP/GO startup?

This comes from old hostapd behavior. The broadcast Deauthentication
frame is there to make it more likely for STAs that could have been
previously associated with the BSS to drop their association if the BSS
is restarted. It may not be of that much benefit in the case of P2P GO,
but it should do not harm either.