Removing unmaintained and obsolete driver wrappers

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Nov 4 15:04:33 PDT 2011

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 21:37:00 +0200
Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:

> With 1.x version forked into a separate tree, it would be a good time
> to do some cleanup in hostap.git and finally get rid of some obsolete
> driver wrappers that are unlikely to be maintained anymore. If you
> think that some of these should remain, please let me know and
> provide some justification or better yet, volunteer to maintain
> them.. ;-).
>
> I'm not sure whether these even compile anymore and since there are
> plans on doing further cleanup in the driver wrapper API, getting rid
> of unneeded extra work with obsolete src/drivers/driver_*.? files
> would be beneficial.
>
> My current plan is to remove following from hostap.git (i.e., from 2.x
> releases; 1.x would still include these):
>
> driver_broadcom.c
> driver_iphone.m
> driver_osx.m
> driver_ralink.c

No objections here.

> I haven't yet made my mind on the following two.. Taken into account
> that Host AP driver is unlikely to get any real maintenance at this
> point, it could be time to get rid of the support burden in
> hostap.git. While Madwifi is quite a bit newer project, it cannot
> really be consider very active anymore.

But it's kept alive.  It should even compile against the forthcoming
Linux 3.2 as soon as it starts identifying itself as such.

> In addition, the only real
> use for these driver wrappers is with hostapd since the
> driver-specific station side interface has been obsoleted years ago
> by WEXT.
>
> driver_hostap.c
> driver_madwifi.c

I'm fine with killing the station code, but please keep the AP code.
It's still used.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin