Removing unmaintained and obsolete driver wrappers

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Nov 4 12:37:00 PDT 2011

With 1.x version forked into a separate tree, it would be a good time to
do some cleanup in hostap.git and finally get rid of some obsolete
driver wrappers that are unlikely to be maintained anymore. If you think
that some of these should remain, please let me know and provide some
justification or better yet, volunteer to maintain them.. ;-).

I'm not sure whether these even compile anymore and since there are
plans on doing further cleanup in the driver wrapper API, getting rid of
unneeded extra work with obsolete src/drivers/driver_*.? files would be
beneficial.

My current plan is to remove following from hostap.git (i.e., from 2.x
releases; 1.x would still include these):

driver_broadcom.c
driver_iphone.m
driver_osx.m
driver_ralink.c

I haven't yet made my mind on the following two.. Taken into account
that Host AP driver is unlikely to get any real maintenance at this
point, it could be time to get rid of the support burden in hostap.git.
While Madwifi is quite a bit newer project, it cannot really be consider
very active anymore. In addition, the only real use for these driver
wrappers is with hostapd since the driver-specific station side
interface has been obsoleted years ago by WEXT.

driver_hostap.c
driver_madwifi.c