Hostapd and FCC certification

Jouni Malinen j
Fri May 27 09:25:22 PDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 08:51:34AM +0200, Adrien Decostre wrote:
> I was wondering about the commercial use of hostapd. Would anyone know if
> this is currently used in commercial systems?

Yes, it is used in quite a few AP designs.

> Would anyone also know if 802.11 access points using hostapd have already
> been FCC certified for use on the 5GHz WiFi band? Has hostapd already
> successfully passed "WiFi alliance" certification tests for
> interoperability?

Yes, many APs with hostapd have been certified for 5 GHz use in US.
Though, it should be noted that hostapd does not really have much (if
anything) to do with this when the driver takes care of the needed
functionality. In other words, the related code may live in the kernel
or in hostapd depending on which driver is being used.

Numerous APs using hostapd have passed Wi-Fi Alliance certification
tests. hostapd is even included in some of the golden testbed devices in
the certification tests for stations.