4 digit PIN for WPS2.0

soumya.sardar at wipro.com soumya.sardar
Thu May 26 00:51:06 PDT 2011

Hi Jouni,

Please refer to following snippet from WSC2.0 spec sec: 4.3.1

"If an Enrollee device advertises support for the Display Configuration
Method, it is
required to generate a fresh 4 or 8-digit PIN each time it runs the
Registration Protocol
and show this PIN on a display."

This is the reason I was looking for 4 digit PIN generation option in
wpa_supplicant. Also I understand this is optional.

Regards
Soumya

-----Original Message-----
From: hostap-bounces at lists.shmoo.com
[mailto:hostap-bounces at lists.shmoo.com] On Behalf Of Jouni Malinen
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:02 PM
To: hostap at lists.shmoo.com
Subject: Re: 4 digit PIN for WPS2.0

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:43:23PM +0530, soumya.sardar at wipro.com wrote:
> >From wpa_supplicant 0.8.x code, I could see only 8 digit PIN
generation.
> But as pr my understanding from WPS2.0 spec, both 4 and 8 digit PIN
> generation MUST be supported.

There is no requirement of generating a 4-digit PIN; the requirement is
to be able to enter either 4- or 8-digit PINs. That is supported by
wpa_supplicant. If you want to use a 4-digit PIN on a limited UI device,
you can generate a random number externally and ask wpa_supplicant to
use that one. Since there are no checksum digit in 4-digit PIN, no
special steps are needed to do this.