Howto 802.11r

Carlos Fernández csfndz
Mon Mar 21 03:14:30 PDT 2011

Here is what I did using simulated WLAN with mac80211hwsim. Maybe
it serves as starting-point.
The problems I encountered I will comment in another mail, after
analyzing a bit more with the current head, because I was using
0.7.3 and git from Feb 16.

?
Before making hostapd the configuration has to be changed a bit,
beginning with the default. Copy defconfig to .config and modify
.config:
CONFIG_DRIVER_WIRED=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NONE=y
CONFIG_RADIUS_SERVER=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211R=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_FILE=y
?
make
?
Do similar to make wpa_supplicant:
CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y
CONFIG_EAPOL_TEST=y
CONFIG_READLINE=y
CONFIG_IEEE80211R=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_FILE=y
?
make
?
The config files to run the applications you find in the attached tgz-file.
?
The configuration changes with respect to the real hardware (on my
computer wlan0 is used by real WLAN, so instructions use wlan1 to 3).
?
Install vtun, if not present:
aptitude install vtun
?
Start vtun (to create and connect tap interfaces):
vtun -s -f vtund.server.conf
vtun -f vtund.client.conf conn1 127.0.0.1
ifconfig tap0 up
ifconfig tap1 up
?
Create and configure two bridges:
brctl addbr br0
brctl setfd br0 0
brctl addif tap0
ifconfig br0 192.168.168.101
ifconfig br0 up
?
brctl addbr br1
brctl setfd br1 0
brctl addif tap1
ifconfig br1 192.168.168.102
ifconfig br1 up
?
--> br0 and br1 should be connected now.
(The tap devices and vtun are needed because bridges cannot be connected directly.)
?
TODO: add test for bridges here
?
?
Start virtual wireless networking:
modprobe mac80211_hwsim radios=3
--> this will create 3 interfaces wlan[1:3]
??? (Starts with 1 if wlan0 is already used by PCI WLAN card.
??? adapt configuration and commands below if this is different.)
??? Mac addresses are 02:00:00:00:0x:00 with x = 0 to 2.
?
Make wireless traffic visible to sniffer:
ifconfig hwsim0 up
?
?
Adapt the following commands, to make sure you are using the newly built
?
versions of hostap and wpa_supplicant.
?
One will need some windows with shells to keep applications in foreground.
?
I use 5: two for the hostapds, one for the wpa_supplicant, one for wpa_cli,
?
one for a shell for iwconfig and test the connection.
?
?
Start the hostapd with config file for AP0 and AP1:
~/hostap/hostapd/hostapd hostap0.hwsim.conf
~/hostap/hostapd/hostapd hostap1.hwsim.conf
?
Verify if the APs are alive:
ifconfig wlan3 up
iwlist wlan3 scanning
--> two APs with ESSID "ft-psk" should appear on channel 1 and 2
?
Start wpa_supplicant:
~/hostap/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant -Dnl80211 -iwlan3 -c wpasup.conf -d
--> should connect to one of the APs
?
Configure the STA interface:
ifconfig wlan3 192.168.168.103
ifconfig wlan3 up
?
TODO: add tests for overall connection here
?
Use sniffer with interface hwsim0 see all traffic on air.
Use sniffer with interface tap0 or tap1 see all traffic on "cable"
between the APs.