Switch between EAP AKA and SIM on EAP-Failure

Praveen Sunagar praveen.sunagar
Fri Mar 18 10:25:17 PDT 2011

Hi All,

My requirement is to initially start with EAP-AKA. If it is supported
by the RADIUS server then the authentication will go through.
But if RADIUS server only supports EAP-SIM then I send NAK(AKA) for
which RADIUS server will reply with EAP-Failure as the method is not
available at its end.
Now I know that it supports SIM and want to try for EAP-SIM.
So I want to know what is the best way to switch to EAP-SIM from
EAP-Failure after trying a peer AKA method selection.
Is there an easy way to do so without needing user to try again
changing  "eap=SIM" ?
Or do we need to move from FAILURE state machine to INITIALIZE state
machine ? If so, whats the change that is needed.
I am not sure what is the best way to transition in this case without
affecting the EAP state machine.
Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Praveen