VLAN 802.1Q / nl80211 / Bridge

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 15 07:29:21 PDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 11:20:29AM +0100, Stephan Jauch wrote:
> we've got a problem with hostapd on OpenWRT router.
> Our wireless clients should connect to different vlans on the router. We
> don't use RADIUS at the moment and no encryption on the wireless network.
>
> My essential parameters are:
> dynamic_vlan=1
> vlan_file=/etc/hostapd.vlan
> vlan_tagged_interface=eth0

How have you configured eth0 and br-lan? It has been a very long time
since I worked on this code, but if I remember correctly, the design was
assuming that a tagged interface (say, eth0) would be split into VLAN
interfaces with vconfig and hostapd would then create similar interfaces
for each VLAN on the wireless side and bridge these interface together
with a separate bridge interface for each VLAN id.

> When I start hostapd the interfaces and vlans are created an every vlan
> got it's own bridge brvlan#
> OpenWrt has a standard bridge br-lan with eth0 and wlan0. How can I
> combine the vlan-bridges to eth0?

I'm not sure what exactly you would like to do.. Please note that the
VLAN interface from the wireless side are not tagged and you would need
to bridge them together with an untagged wired interface (from vconfig)
to make this work.