Using wpa_ctrl.h in a external programm

Kel Modderman kel
Fri Jul 29 16:45:45 PDT 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 02:17:49 AM Grant Erickson wrote:
> On 7/27/11 5:14 AM, Guy Morand wrote:
> > I'm playing with wpa_supplicant to configure my wireless network on my
> > embedded device. I'd like to configure my wireless network from a web
> > interface
> > so I wrote a little daemon to make the communication between my web
> > server and wpa_supplicant working.
> >
> > At the moment I'm using wpa_cli that is working great. However, I'd like
> > to avoid a lot of layer and use directly the wpa_ctrl.h interface inside
> > my program
> > as wpa_cli does and I dislike calling shell program inside C code
> > (system(), popen(), ...)
> >
> > The problem that wpa_supplicant doesn't seem to share its header files
> > (usr/includes/) and this is pretty annoying for the compilation...
> > Moreover, I'd like to have some static/shared libraries to use with my
> > little daemon, something like "libwpa_ctrl.a/so".
> >
> > Is there any way to generate some shared libraries at the current stage
> > of development? Or am I going into the wrong direction ? Is there any
> > better way to do it?
> >
> > Any pointers would be appreciated!
>
> Guy:
>
> I'd warmly recommend looking into the supplicant's support for interacting
> with it over DBus.

The Debian project would certainly appreciate wpa_ctrl being available as a
shared library, the debian-installer enviorment is without d-bus and demand
for wireless connections via wpa_supplicant in that enviroment is very high.

I know for sure that Gaudenz is working on wedging wpa_supplicant into the
Debian installer right now, he is CC'd.

Thanks, Kel.