Any idea why hostapd won't send wmm_param elements?

Sam Leffler sleffler
Mon Jan 31 10:37:25 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 7:07 AM, Jouni Malinen <j at w1.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 06:51:03AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
>> While the h/w is clearly capable of sending at MCS w/o WMM the spec
>> says 11n =>'s WMM so I think the 11n config knob should auto-enable
>> WMM. ?The only reason I can think to not enable WMM is for testing.
>
> I'm not aware of any standard or specification having a strict rule on
> the WWM/QoS being enabled (apart from some test plans), but sure, that
> would be the normal use case for IEEE 802.11n. I'm thinking of modifying
> hostapd to enable WMM (with default EDCA parameters) whenever
> ieee80211n=1 is used in the configuration without explicitly specifying
> wmm_enabled parameter. In other words, that would maintain the option of
> disabling WMM (wmm_enabled=0) while hopefully removing most of the cases
> where the HT AP is left with WMM/QoS disabled accidentally.

As you note the test plans verify QoS support and the WMM IE's (but
not full WMM support).  Doing as you describe is what I've done
elsewhere (e.g. in FreeBSD) and seems to make the most sense.

-Sam