Any idea why hostapd won't send wmm_param elements?

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jan 31 07:07:51 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 06:51:03AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> While the h/w is clearly capable of sending at MCS w/o WMM the spec
> says 11n =>'s WMM so I think the 11n config knob should auto-enable
> WMM.  The only reason I can think to not enable WMM is for testing.

I'm not aware of any standard or specification having a strict rule on
the WWM/QoS being enabled (apart from some test plans), but sure, that
would be the normal use case for IEEE 802.11n. I'm thinking of modifying
hostapd to enable WMM (with default EDCA parameters) whenever
ieee80211n=1 is used in the configuration without explicitly specifying
wmm_enabled parameter. In other words, that would maintain the option of
disabling WMM (wmm_enabled=0) while hopefully removing most of the cases
where the HT AP is left with WMM/QoS disabled accidentally.