Changing Channel On-The-Fly

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Jan 24 01:18:52 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 10:25:22AM +0200, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> So you say that "changing the channel ap is operating at on-the-fly
> without losing established connections" is supported by 802.11gn, but
> this feature is not yet provided by hostapd, right?

Correct.

> If we would forget the "without losing established connections" phrase,
> is it still not possible to change the channel even via wpa_ctrl
> interface? Is SIGHUP'ing hostapd my only choice? Considering this[1]
> hostapd+iwconfig anomaly, how can I learn the current channel? Does
> wpa_ctrl provide that information?

I have not tested changing the channel with SIGHUP, so no guarantees on
this working at the moment. iwconfig and other WEXT tools are not really
useful for fetching channel information at this point. hostapd should
obviously know the channel, but I don't think it exposes an interface
for fetching that information currently.