wpasupplicant install (wpasupplicant_0.6.4-3_i386) debian lenny requires eth0 connection

Jeff Gamsby jeff.gamsby
Sun Jan 9 15:10:14 PST 2011

When I configure my wireless network with WPA PSK auth, it is able to pull a
dhcp address and the interface (wlan0) works properly. This is when eth0
(static) is up and the cable is connected. If I disconnect the eth0 cable,
the wireless no longer functions. I cannot ping or connect via the wireless
interface, but if I plug the wire back in, it starts working again. Tried
with both ipw2200 and rtl8187. I'm stumped and looking for suggestions.

I do not have this problem if WEP is configured and wpasupplicant is not
installed. If wpasupplicant is installed I get the same problem

Thanks

running custom 2.6.32.27 kernel debian lenny

/etc/network/interfaces
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback