Monitor Mode

Carlos Guimarães asc2.cemg
Fri Feb 25 05:28:57 PST 2011

 Hi,

Using an Atheros AR5001X I manage to get hostapd working. It creates a
virtual monitor device and it can receive and send layer 2 packets. However,
if I use an Intel NIC it fails to initiate. It is looking for wlan0
interface but the wireless interface is identified with eth1.

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG output:

"Configuration file: hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
nl80211: Register Action command failed: ret=-19 (No such device)
nl80211: Register Action match - hexdump(len=1): 06
nl80211: Failed to register Action frame processing - ignore for now
nl80211: Add own interface ifindex 0
Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=4 eloop_data=0x8f27878 user_data=0x8f29580
handler=0x8073aa0
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=6 eloop_data=0x8f2ad20 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x807d360"

Other thing, is that using Atheros NIC it only receive Probe Request and
send Probe Responses. Why aren't beacon frames being processed? At
configuration file everything seems ok to me.

Thanks,
Carlos