EAPOL-Key timeout issue

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Feb 21 12:40:39 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 08:00:42AM -0500, David Narvaez wrote:
> Well, taking a look at the documentation of hostapd.conf I realized
> there's this eap_reauth_period option which takes care of the
> reauthentication time. The documentation says that if I set it to 0
> then reauthentication is disabled so from my point of view that should
> solve my problem in the short term since no reauth should be
> happening... the problem is it still does.

Group rekeying using EAPOL-Key messages is not EAP reauthentication and
not controlled with that parameter. The parameter you may have been
looking for would be wpa_group_rekey. Anyway, if I understood correctly,
the issue seems to have been identified and there does not seem to be
anything that hostapd could do to address that type of client behavior
properly.

> So to simplify my question, why is hostapd ignorign my
> eap_reauth_period setting?

It is not: it did not trigger EAP reauthentication here.