wpa_supplement related question, sort of a ping too

gene heskett gheskett
Fri Aug 19 13:42:37 PDT 2011

Greetings all;

I managed to get that Netgear WGR614v10 into lala land yesterday.

Today I did the hardware reset, and started from scratch, following the
instructions from netgear support to set it up again, and it seems to be
working well ATM but without any encryption.

On the lappy, which is running ubuntu-10.04 LTS for compatibility with the
cnc machine control proggy emc, I had to download, build and install
ndiswrapper-1.56 before it would load the bcmwlhigh5 driver this WNA3100
dongle needed.  However, the install did not put the file where the ubuntu
kernel could find it, putting it instead in
 /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/misc

instead, so I had to copy it over the one in kernel/drivers/wireless.
No biggy.

Rebooted the lappy after toggling the radio push button, but NM apparently
now knows how to turn it back on without the reboot help.  Nasty of it, so
I added b43 to the blacklist file & rebooted again.  That finally got rid
of the old slow radio in the lappy, and it is all working, but wide open,
no encryption.

So now, here I am, hat in hand, needing instructions AND minimum software
versions, to make the WPS mode work since both radios now have that WPS
button.

I am not allergic to grabbing updated versions of wpa_supplicant, iw-tools
etc and building them from tarball if that is what it takes.  Except for
putting ndiswrapper.ko in the wrong place, that was a 20 minute or less
job.

Help, URL's etc gleefully accepted.  Googling isn't a lot of help, 450k
hits, most on some winderz file format called WPS.  :(

Thanks all for any help.

Cheers, gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <10502 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>