802.11a/n

Jouni Malinen j
Mon Aug 15 06:06:25 PDT 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 01:22:53PM -0700, Grant wrote:
> I'm using a Ubiquiti SR71-E 802.11abgn card and I've tried specifying
> many different channels for 802.11a mode but I always get this error:
>
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (36) not found from the channel
> list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
> wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel

It sounds like your card could be calibrated as a world roaming card and
it does not allow AP mode to be started on 5 GHz channels. You can check
the available channel list with "iw list". The channels that are marked
"disabled" or "passive scanning" won't be available for hostapd to use
in AP mode.

> Also, it seems strange to specify both hw_mode=g (for example) and
> ieee80211n=1.  Is that the correct config for 802.11n?

Yes.