Problem with wireless drivers to work with host ap

Tobias Gunkel Tobias.Gunkel
Fri Aug 5 13:55:11 PDT 2011

Hello F?bio,

> I hope this is the correct address to send such e-mails, I am in need of
> some help here.
> In the work needed to start my theses, one of my assignments is to set
> my laptop to work as an access point. From what I've read, hostapd is
> the program that should make this happen for me.
>
> I have Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller
> [14e4:4727] (rev 01) and after reading countless forums/tutorials I
> can't seem to get this working.

I don't have a Broadcom WLAN adapter myself but according to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers there are two lines of drivers
for Broadcom chips: b43(/legacy) and brcmsmac/brcmfmac.

If you want to use hostapd the driver has to support AP mode (see AP
column of the linuxwireless driver table).

The b43(/legacy) driver page (click on the driver name in the table)
which supports AP mode states that the BCM4313 is not supported by the
driver.

The new open source driver brcmsmac/brcmfmac from Broadcom does support
the BCM4313 chip but not AP mode (AP = no).
The brcmsmac/brcmfmac page states: "To be done once softmac driver is in
mainline: Add support for ..., AP, ...".
Depending on how old this information is, it seems that you will not get
hostapd to work with this chipset at the moment.

Maybe someone else knows the current status of that driver.

Regards,
Tobias