[RFC] wpa_supplicant: add fast reconnect support

Sam Leffler sleffler
Sun Apr 24 20:16:53 PDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes at sipsolutions.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-21 at 16:51 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>
>> > nl80211-based devices use the code in sme.c which returns -EBUSY for
>> > this case. ?I looked at changing all the driver routines to do this
>> > but punted. ?What's there now should work for all devices; but only
>> > those that use the user-mode sme code will benefit.
>>
>> Hmm, no, there's no scanning code in sme.c. You modified mlme.c to
>> return -EBUSY, but that code doesn't end up being used except for
>> driver_test, so you get the driver's return value here. It just ends up
>> working because nl80211 driver does in fact return the code.
>
> I completely agree with your conclusion of course, but it's kinda hard
> to understand why it actually works :)

Good question.  I thought we ran the fork associated with the user
space MLME but as you say this is only set by driver_test.  OTOH we
are seeing the fast reconnect logic piggyback on existing scans which
can only happen if -EBUSY percolates back up from the driver.  Will
investigate.

-Sam