wpa_supplicant not working on wext interface

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Apr 12 08:25:02 PDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 07:57:32PM +0530, hardik patel wrote:
> I am using wpa_supplicant v0.8.x which have p2p support on android os.
>  i am using below conf file to run wpa_supplicant

> While running wpa_supplicant on nl80211 interface using above conf
> file .... it is working fine .... but when i use wext interface with
> above conf file.
>
> As soon as i execute below command my android phone is getting hang
> and abd connect is lost.

That sounds like a driver or kernel issue of some sort.. What is abd?

Please also note that P2P is not supported with WEXT driver interface.

> wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/data/wpa_supplicant_none.conf -dddd

> D/wpa_supplicant(  501): RTM_NEWLINK, IFLA_IFNAME: Interface 'wlan0' added
> D/wpa_supplicant(  501): Wireless event: cmd=0x8b15 len=20
> D/wpa_supplicant(  501): Wireless event: new AP: 00:26:0b:dc:17:8b

What is this connection and what requested it to happen? Your
wpa_supplicant configuration file did not include any networks so
wpa_supplicant did not request any connection.

> can any one tell me why wpa_supplicant is not working on wext
> interface.... if i use below conf file then i am to connect with AP
> successfully. it means that if we want to use this latest supplicant
> with wext interface then at list one AP entry required in conf file
> ... is it right ?

No, there is no such requirements. This sounds like some kind of
Android or driver -specific issue.