wpa_supplicant can connect, but reconnect immediately

Dan Williams dcbw
Thu Sep 9 09:59:20 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 11:41 -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 14:00 +0530, J. Bakshi wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I want wpa_supplicant scans the available AP and based on priority connects a particular AP.
> >
> > watch "wpa_cli status"
> >
> > shows that wpa_supplicant can connect the AP but immediately it disconnects. It happens again and again after a regular interval. Why wpa-supplicant lost the AP even after make the association ? Here is my wpa_supplicant related configuration
>
> I guess NetworkManager does it.  Try stopping it:
> service NetworkManager stop

It might be NM, it might be the driver.

But if you're running NetworkManager to manage your network interfaces,
NM is *already* running a wpa_supplicant for the wifi interface.  YOu
can tell NM to "unmanage" certain devices (which lets you do whatever
you want with them without NM trying to scan or connect at the same
time) by:

1) add ",keyfile" to the end of the plugins= line
in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf

2) add a '[keyfile]' block to that file, and in that block put:

unmanaged-devices=mac:<hwaddr>

with the MAC address of the wifi device you want to make NM ignore.  NM
will monitor that file so you can add/remove unmanaged entries at will
and NM will dynamically manage/unmanage them as appropriate.

Dan