IFF_RUNNING and hostapd

Dave Taht dave.taht
Mon Oct 25 12:07:14 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:40 AM, David Sommerseth
<hostapd.list at topphemmelig.net> wrote:
> On -10/01/37 20:59, Dave Taht wrote:

> Others have reported this in this Trac ticket on OpenWRT:
>
> <https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/7734#comment:7>

I'm glad I wasn't alone in noticing this.

[snip]

>> It seems like a good idea to leave it in the NO CARRIER state until
>> the first client authenticates.
>
> I do disagree with this, because that will not make it possible to start
> radvd before at least one client has connected and the state has
> changed. ?And what when the last client disconnects, should it go back
> to NO-CARRIER (dormant state)?

I am under the impression that radvd will start when an interface is
disabled if configured to do so. I do not know how or if it monitors
changes in state in an interface.

The advantage to my thinking is that routes from elsewhere to the
wireless lan would not be offered via radvd (or babeld) until after
something is actually up, and that routes would be withdrawn soon
after the last device disconnects. This would cut down unnecessary
traffic to the wireless router in question.

I'm easy, what you propose below would be better than the current
situation by a lot.

--
Dave T?ht
SKYPE: davetaht