P2P: Joining to existing P2P Group causes Linux kernel panic

Jouni Malinen j
Fri Nov 26 08:54:42 PST 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 06:06:19PM +0900, Masashi Honma wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Yes, invitation is another way to join to P2P
> Group. But I think there should be a way without invitation.

There is (p2p_connect join).

> This is my command history. In this scenario, non-Persistent GO invites a
> P2P device to it's P2P Group. Are these commands correct ? If wrong, what
> is a right way ?

The commands are otherwise fine, but you will need to additionally
authorize the connection on the GO. After the p2p_invite command, you
would need to issue wps_pbc command on the GO in this particular case;
p2p_invite itself does not automatically authorize WPS provisioning

> GO side
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_peers
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_invite group=wlan0 peer=00:0a:79:6b:65:2e

The p2p_invite here send the invitation and you should see
P2P-PROV-DISC-PBC-REQ event on wpa_cli after that should you be running
it in interactive mode. That indicates that a P2P device would like to
connect to the group. At that point, wps_pbc would be used to accept the
connection. The same thing applies for the case where you do p2p_connect
join without the invitation; the actual joining part is identical in
these cases.

> My reference [1] says provisioning occurs after successful
> completion of the P2P Invitation. Does wpa_supplicant need
> provisioning before invitation ?

No, provisioning discovery is not actually required for this to work
with wpa_supplicant at all.. It is done automatically since the protocol
requires it, but the actual knowledge of provisioning discovery having
happened does not affect the connection.