P2P: Joining to existing P2P Group causes Linux kernel panic

Johannes Berg johannes
Thu Nov 25 23:52:05 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-26 at 16:31 +0900, Masashi Honma wrote:

> GO side
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_group_add
>
> P2P Client side
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_find
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_peers
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_connect 00:22:43:4c:10:fa pbc
>
> GO side
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_peers
> # ./wpa_cli -i wlan0 p2p_connect 00:0a:79:6b:65:2e pbc
> (Kernel panic)

I don't think that does what you want -- I believe that will actually go
through GO negotiation. You'd have to invite the other peer instead.

> I tried three times. They resulted in kernel panic.

That, of course, isn't supposed to happen. And it doesn't for me, for me
it does go through GO neg just fine.

> I could not
> salvage kernel and wpa_supplicant log any time. My linux kernel is
> 2.6.26. The mac80211 is compat-wireless-2010-11-22.tar.bz2.

I'm using wireless-testing directly, but not much newer than your
compat. You'll have to try to get kernel messages, switch to a regular
VC (away from X) and take a photo, for example.

> The wireless card of GO is this (lspci log).
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

similar here

> My question is
> 1. Is joining to existing P2P Group functionality supported ?

Yeah, but I don't think it works the way you're trying.

> 2. If so, my operation is correct ?

I'm guessing no, but it still shouldn't crash. I can't figure out how to
do it properly right now. You'll have to do provisioning first, and then
invite the peer. Something like that anyway.

johannes