WPA: 4-Way Handshake failed

Jouni Malinen j
Thu Nov 11 05:12:09 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:25:23AM +0100, Florian Berger wrote:
> That exactly did the trick. When I put the passphrase in clear text in
> wpa_supplicant.conf, it works.
>
> As I understand, doing it that way means that the actual 256 Bit key is
> computed at runtime when the connection is established.

At runtime yes, but only once when the configuration file is read; not
at each time there is a connection.

> What strikes me: shouldn't wpa_passphrase and the key generator in
> wpa_supplicant yield the exact same result? I.e., why is one working,
> and the other not? Is this a terminal/web interface encoding issue?

Yes, they should result in the same value. I asked you to try this to
make sure you had entered both the SSID and passphrase correctly.. I
would assume there was something else on the wpa_passphrase command
line. Please note that shell can change some special characters on the
command line and unless you carefully quote or escape the strings, you
may not get want you wanted.