Unable to WPS PBC/PIN a Dell D610/Ubuntu laptop using latest wpa_supplicant v0.6.10 sources from git

Jouni Malinen j
Sun May 23 07:19:27 PDT 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:16:42PM -0700, Vitaly Kruglikov wrote:
> WPS Enrollee: Dell D610, running Ubuntu 9.04; 802.11 driver: ipw2200; my wpa_supplicant.conf is attached

> Then, I connected the freshly-built wpa_cli at interface eth1 and  tried 'wps_pbc' and later 'wps_pin any' in order to "add my D610 STA to the network".  I  also used the  WPS button and WPS UI on the AP.  In both  cases, wpa_supplicant would run a bunch of  scans, reporting 'No suitable AP found.' at the end of each  scan, even though my Netgear AP showed up in each scan; and eventually wpa_supplicant always reported 'WPS-TIMEOUT Requested operation timed out'.

Could you please verify whether the driver is actually reporting the WPS
IE in the scan results? I have not tested ipw2200 and don't really know
its capabilities. You might be able to check this with "iw wlan0 scan"
or "iwlist wlan0 scan".

> To  debug, I captured the traffic between the AP and  my D610 using OmniPeek.  I verified that the  AP was sending what appears to be the appropriate WPS IE in its probe responses (see the attached WPS-PIN-probe_req_resp_packets.txt); however, the probe requests from the D610/wpa_supplicant did NOT contain any WPS IE at all, even though wpa_supplicant log claims that WPS IE is being generated:

wpa_supplicant generated the WPS IE for Probe Request frames, but some
drivers do not support the part of actually adding this into the
frames..

> So,  I am  at a loss: is WPS even possible with wps_supplicant and ipw2200 on the Dell D610 laptop?  I  googled for the answers before posting this, but my searches came up empty-handed.

That depends mainly on the driver capabilities.. wpa_supplicant will
need to be able to get information about the WPS IE in Beacon/Probe
Response frames from scan results.