[patch] WPS: hostapd fails to proxy registrations with Intel ext. registrar

Jouni Malinen j
Tue Mar 30 08:04:46 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:08:37PM +0300, Andriy Tkachuk wrote:

> It appeared that clients can't enroll to the AP when hostapd works as
> proxy and Intel is used as external wireless registrar. In particular
> this affects the 4.2.3 test case from WFA WPS testplan. Debugging it
> reveled that Intel sends the MAC address in non standard format (in
> NewWLANEventMAC UPnP xml tag). The bytes in address are separated with
> dots instead of colons, for example, like 00.aa.bb.cc.dd.ee (instead of
> 00:aa:bb:cc:dd:ee, as it should be according to WFA WLANConfig 1_0
> Template 1_01.pdf spec). The following patch, that makes hwaddr_aton()
> routine more tolerant for address format, fixes the issue:

I don't think this is a bug in hostapd or that this would "fix" the
issue (the other end using incorrect format). It may be necessary to
work around that issue, but in that case, I would prefer to not change
hwaddr_aton() but instead, add another version of this in the WPS code
with a clear comment on why it is there. I want to be able to build a
version of hostapd that will strictly verify that WPS was implemented
correctly by the other end and this type of change is just hiding the
problems in a way that make it more difficult.

Would you be able to send a debug log from hostapd showing this issue? I
remember there being problems with some of the UPnP values having
incorrect values (i.e., completely incorrect MAC address) in this area
and I thought I added a workaround for it. Maybe that only avoids the
issue where the address itself is incorrect, but still in correct
format(?).